[VBbuilders] HINTERLAND - Germany and Poland (-> spatial patterns)

Franz Nahrada f.nahrada at reflex.at
Sat Jan 9 20:34:46 CET 2010

Pitlik László <pitlik at miau.gau.hu> writes:

>The data-driven decision making could detect automatically, which object
>(=piazza/village) seems mostly  to be capable, to transform into
>telematica.
>The local players could be prepared to explore their real
>chances/position - compared to other objects (e.g. villages).

I am in doubt if we can really determine potentials by statistics and
maybe you did not mean that. We could say that the human body consists out
of 75% water, and that much nitrogen and carbon, without knowing much
about the shape or potential of the human.  The difference between life
and death, between success and failure might be sometimes in the details.

Part of the goal of pattern languages is to develop a more wholistic and
intuitive view towards potentials than with isolated facts. Often there is
a high degree of speculation necessary, a good deal of design, of scenario
- building. Pattern Languages seek to reduce the uncertainty in such
speculations by allowing us to use already proven elements or processes in
constructing a new reality. But they do not take away our freedom to
decide, they rather increase it by giving us alternatives.

For example, the piazza telematica might be an attractor that spurs
non-predictable processes of networking, collaboration and wealth
creation. A small village might develop a spirit of ambition. There might
be more openness and less preset activities. Also, if a district has to
decide, competition is the worst solution. Rural areas cannot really stand
purely competitive behaviour, it takes away their lifeblood, which is
balance-seeking negociation and agreements.

An "electronic sense" for complex realities is nothing bad, but as the
statistic guy in that one TED Video that Markus pointed at, that finally
swallowed the sword, said: we must always be prepared for the highly
unprobable to happen....

just my 2cents here. I should try to focus on organisation ;-)

Franz