[VBbuilders] Digital Exhibition on a shoestring

Thompson, Steve S.D.Thompson at tees.ac.uk
Sun Jul 25 10:19:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

In the face of diminishing funding sources I thought this story might be a
little refreshing for some folks. We¹re building an arts installation with
not much more than waste pipe from B&Q  (UK DIY Store) and for not a great
deal of money. Other resources for this we have from previous exhibitions
and projects and we will borrow projectors etc.

Story and pictures here:

http://tvcm.co.uk/ironage/development-blog/

Or in the order it was written:

http://tvcm.co.uk/ironage/development-blog/?order=ASC

After the exhibition in September to run in Loftus Town Hall on the theme of
heritage we will have a portable touring digital exhibition space. We plan
to take it to at least three more Teesside Towns and each time creating an
extra digital exhibition to be added to the programme.

The September exhibition is called "Iron Age To Digital Age". There are 8
screens featuring heritage images about the people, places and former
industries of East Cleveland. There are also drawings and paintings from
children on these themes. There are also 8 speakers driven by an 8 output
audio interface from a computer. This means sounds can be sent to the 8
compass points and these include music and percussion sounds as well as
peoples voices talking to the themes of the exhibition and childrens voices
reading from the schools 140 year old log books (Skinningrove and Carlin
How)

The following exhibition for Feb 2011 in Saltburn will be on the theme of
"The Sea" and we'll involve Children, Community Groups, Artists, Poets and
Marske Fishermans Choir in developing the content. Exhibitions in
Middlesbrough and Stockton will follow.

I'm open to ideas for transnational collaboration on content and perhaps
even taking the installation further afield

Steve T

--
Steve Thompson
Community Media Manager