[VBbuilders] Andrius asks for comments on My Math Story

Andrius Kulikauskas ms at ms.lt
Wed Feb 10 15:44:40 CET 2010

Hi Franz and all,

Some of us interested in video bridges might also have ideas for the
Digital Media and Learning competition for digital innovations for
teaching math and science.  http://dmlcompetition.net  They have
extended the deadline for new proposals to February 15, 2010.

I'm requesting comments for my proposal My Math Story.  I will ask for
50,000 USD for me and 75,000 USD for a global team which I'll organize
at Minciu Sodas.

You can simply reply to this letter with a thought or two and I can post
your comment myself.  Or you can register at
http://dmlcompetition.net/pligg/story.php?title=679

Thank you for your solidarity! and your ideas!  and please let me know
who else might be interested in my proposal!

Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms at ms.lt

--------------------------------------

My Math Story
$125,000
Andrius Kulikauskas, Ph.D.

We collect mathematical quantities (amounts and units) and classic math
problems (and the deep ideas they illustrate). We thereby foster
mathematical intuition that arises from working with real life problems
as opposed to contrived ones. We link up to help real activists around
the world.

Mathematics is traditionally taught through repetition of contrived
problems which lack any meaningful context and thus destroy mathematical
intuition. Instead, we create formats to encourage the collection of
real life applications. We collect many ourselves, starting with
quantities that arise in the real world (including news stories,
almanacs, technical specifications) and organize them by amount
(increasing) and unit (such as meters, seconds, dollars, grams, liters,
bits, decibels, watts, meters per second, etc.) We create navigation
tools so students can grasp orders of magnitude using their own favorite
examples. We also collect illustrative problems, for example: suppose a
meal at your cafeteria costs X=$9, and at the restaurant it costs
one-third more, but you have a coupon for "one-third off" at the
restaurant, where is it cheaper? (At the restaurant it will be $12 minus
one-third which is $8, which shows that the meaning of "one-third"
changes, and so this classic problem illustrates the deep idea that
algebra is thinking step-by-step.) We show that several dozen thoughtful
problems can teach all of algebra. We create interfaces for students to
generate variants of such problems and post along with comments. We link
the problems to Wolfram Alpha, and also to real life stories of
"witnesses" from news, educational, activist and social networking
sites. We especially encourage real life connections with
witnesses-activists from the developing world, including hundreds that
we organize to help us collect real math applications and to staff a
chat room for interactive learning. Our content will be Public Domain.
We create formats so this activity can be done at wikis (including
Wikipedia), YouTube, Flickr, and shared via RSS. We help a variety of
websites host specialized collections and aggregate feeds so that our
formats take root across the web.