[VBbuilders] APRES NING

Thompson, Steve S.D.Thompson at tees.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 23:29:18 CEST 2010

Hi All,

Sorry for crossposting but I've seen lot of traffic on the demise of Free Nings and what the alternatives might be. There seems to be lots of alts and of course folks have their preferences. I don't think there is a "like for like" alternative to Ning and I think I'll be cautious in future about getting hooked into any free provider in future.

I guess the rule of thumb is the purpose at hand. A 30 day project or a 6 week course might be ok to try one of the Ning lookalikes and not care about longevity. For anything else we probably want to go self-hosted. Like I said we all have our preferences and I like Wordpress so I'm looking at BuddyPress. I have an instance running without too much hassle. I had a slight detour to the forum and had to add a line of code so it's probably not a total non geek option (yet) but it seems OK. My instance is here http://www.tvcm.co.uk/community and I have a plugin ready to go to import my NING membership.

All good fun eh?

Steve T

--
Steve Thompson