[VBbuilders] why NING after all?

Mark Petz ravenwyn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 10:53:32 CEST 2010

There are myriad social networks out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites

and much has been written about features in them that are useful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network

but we are in danger of ending up with

Bonini's paradox <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonini%27s_paradox>

if we try and build in every feature we want on-ine to be in our network.

Better I feel is to look at 3 or 4 nets and just go for one. I am glad we
are doing this. At the moment I like Wiser Earth (Franz evaluated this) or
Appropedia (he has the contacts and the guys are positive about working with
us). BUT I don't want to spend months prevaricating and discussing.
Meanwhile people get bored and we loose the connections we have.

So a fast decsion is good. It should form part of a strategy (an information
strategy), NOT a Global Village Development Strategy (which I think some
want to bring in everything under one roof), Business Plan (which I feel
Helmut and Andrius would warm to). Such wider strategic aims should be
something the GIVE Institut focuses on. To my mind with 2 or 3 clear
projects:

VideoBridging (could be one project and would work well if the political
views are not focused on. By that I mean just like a wiki can be used by
anyone from  any belief, but the development of wiki technology is
independent of the actual beliefs. The same should apply for our VideoBridge
development in my view. We can focus on the community part and the technical
part seperately.) Then I think it can be useful for many and a stronger
collective mind raises efficacies.

Of course we may have our own orgs and organizational priorities - but that
is something else.

I hope this expedites the decision making process.

Ciaokka!

Markus